This page of the website will be used to feature projects underway at Rafter K Wheelwright. Updated photos will be posted as work progresses and, as these vintage vehicles are completely restored, new photos will take their place.
Three years ago, I built a new shop with a mezzanine. Recently I've been running out of floor space, so I added another 500 square feet to the mezzanine while still maintaining access by the stairs and through my rail winching system. I left a wall with sliding doors between the old and new mezzanine areas in order to keep the dust from the working area away from the upholstery area. This still leaves me about 500 square feet of high ceiling. I used flush beams so I still have a clear 8' ceiling under the mezzanine. I've now moved all my wood parts into the shop and it sure is nice to have everything in one building.
Watch us on YouTube:
Franck Calloch from Brittany, France worked as an apprentice with Rafter K for 6 weeks. Franck previously worked in a boatyard building large wooden boats and is now learning the craft of wheelwrighting so he can return to his farm which he works with a team of draft horses and oxen.
Rafter K Original Furniture
Hand-crafted one-of-kind furniture! Hall table on left has been sold. See For Sale Page for further information on coffee table, shown below right.
Variety of pot racks for your kitchen. See For Sale Page for further information and prices.
Custom-built Two Seater Bench
Custom-built pole for cutter; comes with eveners and neck yoke.
Massey Bobsleigh Rebuilt
Photo at left shows bobsleigh when it came into the shop, with the rebuilt bobsleigh at right. Restoration included new hardwood benches, bunk, bolster, box stakes, front and rear rollers, reach and pole.
It has been painted red and black.
Check it out in the For Sale Page.
1902 McLaughlin Undercut Buggy
Photo at top left shows the buggy as it came in to the shop. Photo above shows the process of welding on new bearing style stub spindles. The completed 1902 McLaughlin with new CBSL hubs and wheels is shown at bottom left.
Munro McIntosh Cutter
Restoration of this cutter involved building a new dash, tightening up the upholstery, a paint job (shown in photo at left) and pinstriping. The completed cutter is shown above and on the For Sale page.
Restoration of this Quebec Cutter continues. Bottom photos show cutter upon arrival in the shop. Photo below left shows special marine plywood designed for bending that has now been glued and clamped into place. Photo below right shows new moulded plywood body. This project has involved stripping down the old plywood and removing hundreds of nails to get down to the frame.
The top frame has been repaired with a new liner and top which comes with a rear window and roll up curtain. The wheels have been repaired and rubber tires installed. In repairing the body (see photo at left), the buggy top and box were removed in order to strip the paint for re-painting. The seat frame is being repaired with new upholtstery for the top and seat, and new shafts.
Small Albany Cutter
The seat and back of this light smaller style cutter have been completely re-upholstered in burgundy crushed velvet. The rest of the cutter is in great shape and is listed on the For Sale page.
All necessary repairs have been done to the cutter and it is in good shape. Photo at top right shows the cutter with two coats of primer and ready for paint. Final paint job and upholstery are shown above, and the completely restored cutter is shown at left.
Light Freight Wagon
Restoration of this wagon involved replacing the felloes on the wheels, replacing the reach and braces, fixing up to a useable condition and then applying a fresh coat of paint. The results can be seen in the photo at bottom left. This wagon is also available for purchase - see details on the Sale Page.
Rafter K has two Doctor's buggies to rebuild. Photos below show the process of restoring one of these buggies to completion. The process includes stripping down and repainting, rebuilding and upholstering the top, repairing the wheels and installing rubber tires. The leather seat was able to be saved.